Friday, January 7, 2011

Fun EFL Task: Writing a Poem

This first week of class we are doing a fun task... mmm ...Do you like poems? Poems can help you learn new vocabulary and think about words and how they connect. Here, we have some examples of EFL fun poems for you to try..

Fun Poem 1.
Look at the picture and read the poem. Check the words. Try to guess their meaning, look for them in a dictionary.. you can google the word really fast in your phone or you can ask your classmates... and finally if that doesn't work... ask your teacher..  :). Here, follow this to help you write your poem..


........................ (Noun)
It sounds like .......... and ............. (noun + noun)
It tastes like ..................... and .............. (noun + noun)
It smells like ..................... and .............. (noun + noun)
It feels like ....................... (verb)

*tip* you can go to PIC.LITS and select an image and write your poem. Later you ca post it to your blog. Here this is the example ..just click the link and go there.


PicLit from PicLits.com
See the full PicLit at PicLits.com

Fun Poem 2
The I Am Poem

This is a poem that can be used to describe any character, setting, idea or concept.It can have as many or as few stanzas as you wish. It is a wonderful way to learn ad practice about nouns, verbs, and adjectives.



The I Am Poem

I am (Two special characteristics the person or thing has)
I wonder(something the person or thing could actually be curious about)
I hear (an imaginary or actual sound)
I see (an imaginary or actual sight)
I want (a desire)
I am (the first line of the poem is repeated
I pretend (something the person or thing could actually pretend to do)
I feel (a feeling about the imaginary)
I touch (an imaginary touch)
I worry (something that could really bother the person or thing)
I cry (something that could make the person or thing sad)
I am (the first line of the poem is repeated)
I understand (something the person or thing knows to be true)
I say (something the person or thing believes in)
I dream (something the person or thing could actually dream about)
I try (something the person or thing could make an effort to do)
I hope (something the person or thing could hope for)
I am (the first line of the poem repeated)

Fun Poem 3
Persona-poems

= title
= name of the author of the poem
= first name/nickname of the person in the poem
= 4 adjectives which describe the person
= X of Y formula, about an important relationship to the person
= 3 things s/he loves
= 3 things that scare her/him
= 3 things s/he wants to see
= resident of...a place or time or concept
= last name of the person in the poem

Well, have fun writing your poem.. you can use your imagination.. but remember to make it fun... Select one of the fun poems or if you want you can write one of each kind... or maybe add anew one...share them in twitter and facebook...

Keep on shining Love and Peace!
Doris3m

.................
Sources: 
The Iam Poem

No comments: